I figured it was only a matter of time before this aggressive plant escaped its confines, and I’d be really sorry when it did. I removed it and planted hardy geranium in its place.
UPDATE 2021: In 2020 I decided to rip out as much of this as I could and replant the bed with something else (which ended up being hardy geraniums). It was a bear to extract all those little roots, but I did a pretty good job because I only got a few sprouts in 2021.
I planted this early on outside our front door in the corner of built-in bed thats contained on all sides by either brick or concrete. It has nearly filled that container and attempts to jump ship over into the rockery next to the sidewalk every year. This plant is beautiful in spring and early summer, and does a nice job of decorating a tough spot that is shaded most of the day by our detached garage. However, it’s roots are fibrous and tough which make it very difficult to pull, and it gets shaggy and rusty toward the end of summer.
Hi! I'm Lorie and I wrangle plants in a muddy, feral shade garden in the Pacific Northwest. I built this site to serve as a gardening journal and quasi-accurate record of planting successes and failures. My goal is to help "future me" be a better gardener. I hope what I've learned along the way can be useful to you too. Thanks for visiting!