One of the challenges I faced in finishing out the sunroom was figuring out how to hide the dirty fascia visible through the top part of the windows. Over time, pine needles, insects, dirt and other nasty stuff had accumulated in the 2-inch space between the glass and wood. Because the glass is permanent, there isn’t a great way to access that space, especially given that it’s 15 feet from the ground. Even if I could clean it, I didn’t think it would ever look that great due to the uneven gaps between the fascia and roof underlayment.
Full-length blinds were a possibility but would have been pretty expensive and a bit overkill in my mind. And there’s one weird window that’s only 13″ wide, which meant I’d need to do an extra-special order, adding to the potential cost.
So I decided to try making bamboo valances. As it turns out, nobody sells bamboo “cloth”. The solution I came up with to get the natural bamboo look I wanted was to buy a premade roman blind and piece it out. It ended up working out great. The biggest challenge in this process was dealing with the weird construction and odd window sizes. Anyone with normal windows would have a much easier time. Even so, it wasn’t that difficult, and pretty rewarding at the end!
Prepping the Rods
Prepping the Shades
Mounting The Valances
This project went pretty smoothly and I’m super happy with the result. Having the right tools definitely helps, but if you are lucky enough to have new, evenly spaced windows you many not need as many as I did. Overall I’d say this is an easy DIY project and if you are into the bamboo look for your space, definitely give it a try. And if you do, let me know how it turns out!